- Vincent Arel-Bundock joined the room
- Don SizemoreDOpoikilotherm (CEST,UTC+2): on directory config source. is the default
domain1/secrets/sufficient? I ask because docker-compose-dev.yml uses
- poikilotherm (CEST,UTC+2)DDon Sizemore: it may be sufficient if you like it 😅
- I'm deliberately changing this in the container to /secrets so it becomes easier to use in that context
- (Usually secrets do become mounted as files, mapped from some place else, so making the path shorter is what folks love to see)
- pdurbinOur annual IT summit is back for the first time since the pandemic but it conflicts with #dataverse2023. Bummer. 😢 https://itsummit.harvard.edu
- "Self-directed option: choose your own topic" on the hackathon page. We could have had a hackathon for Dataverse!
- poikilotherm (CEST,UTC+2)We still can. I'll be there on Saturday already. All Sunday for happy hacking!
- pdurbinAnd Thursday! Who's with me?!
- poikilotherm (CEST,UTC+2)I have a suspicion thatJJohannes Darms might be there on the same days. He might be flying in from DUS just as me 😜
- Don SizemoreDOpoikilotherm (CEST,UTC+2): I'm wrestling with using
secrets/to include non-sensitive configuration bits, but happy to do so to keep it all in one directory.
- poikilotherm (CEST,UTC+2)I'm not sure what your problem may be... 🤔
- pdurbin"Hi Philip- I’ll make a note to connect for next year’s planning, maybe we could even look into a challenge sponsored by Dataverse! -Amy"
- pdurbinHave a good weekend and Happy Mother's Day!
- omooaiya joined the room
- omooaiya changed their name to Omo Oaiya
- @omooaiya:matrix.ren.ng left the room
- Johannes DarmsJMy flight is on Monday, but if I'm not mistaken Vera is already there.
In reply topoikilotherm (CEST,UTC+2)I have a suspicion thatJJohannes Darms might be there on the same days. He might be flying in from DUS just as me 😜
- Im available for a meeting and discussion. We could use the time to discuss Auth and SPA roadmaps...
In reply topdurbinAnd Thursday! Who's with me?!
- bergs joined the room
- pdurbinHmm. Maybe.
In reply topdurbinAnd Thursday! Who's with me?!JJan Range and I might walk around until our feet hurt (again). 😄
- pdurbinJJohannes Darms: thanks for the new PR! There's some discussion about Keycloak and docker compose at https://dataverse.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/375812-containers/topic/Keycloak
- beepHi! Is there a way to automatically generate an api token for every registered user? I would like to avoid them having to go to the API Token tab to generate it manually.
- bergsBHi, I'm newbie exploring dataverse to be used as a RDM platform vs invenio or different alternatives. I've installled 'archive in a box' dataverse with docker https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse-docker
Logged as dataverseAdmin, I cannot see 'dashboard menu item'. I am supposed to be a superuser, but I don't know how to check it, how to give superuser role to dataverseAdmin.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
- beepI found getValidApiTokenForUser(), that will do it!
In reply tobeepHi! Is there a way to automatically generate an api token for every registered user? I would like to avoid them having to go to the API Token tab to generate it manually.
- pdurbinBbergs: hi! This might help: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse-docker/issues/78#issuecomment-1338018226
- SVyacheslav Tikhonov: should we re-open that issue? It seems to keep happening.
- Bbeep: oh good, I'm glad that will work for you.
- community call in about 3 hours: https://groups.google.com/g/dataverse-community/c/OAkypfJiJBk/m/RU-VUVYxAgAJ
In reply topdurbinBbergs: hi! This might help: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse-docker/issues/78#issuecomment-1338018226Bbergs can you please leave a comment on that issue to say that you had this issue as well (and which version, please).
- prsridhaPHello, I'm trying to upload a large dataset and it's taking a lot of time. I have a script that will upload my dataset in chunks via multiple parallel processes. Can I use this script to upload to Dataverse? All processes will use the same API key.
- pdurbinPprsridha: is your installation of Dataverse using S3 on the backend?
This message is being deleted…
- No it's on our private NFS
In reply topdurbinPprsridha: is your installation of Dataverse using S3 on the backend?
- g.sarigiannisGHello, I just tried to upload my first dataset in a fresh dataverse installation, it's a small excel file and the upload process is stuck, won't complete. Any tips?
- pdurbinPprsridha: ok. Have you tried your script already? Does it work with Dataverse?
- Gg.sarigiannis: I would check for a dataset lock: https://guides.dataverse.org/en/5.13/admin/troubleshooting.html#a-dataset-is-locked-and-cannot-be-edited-or-published
- Don SizemoreD@prsridha how large is this dataset? depending on filetype (ingest) Dataverse may make 2-3 copies of each file during upload.
- g.sarigiannisGPpdurbin: thanks, I just tried uploading different file types and apparently the problem occurs when trying to upload .xlsx files. Anything that could cause this?
- pdurbinGg.sarigiannis: anything in server.log?
- g.sarigiannisGThis warning appears, can't say whether it's relevant: JSF1095: The response was already committed by the time we tried to set the outgoing cookie for the flash. Any values stored to the flash will not be available on the next request.
- pdurbinyeah, we see that a lot and it's unrelated, I'd say, sorry for the noise
- You could try uploading your Excel file to https://demo.dataverse.org
- just to see if it works
- g.sarigiannisGPpdurbin: thanks, it seems the problem was down to that specific .xlsx file. Are there any limitations to the way files are supposed to be structured?
- Vincent Kadar joined the room
- pdurbinGg.sarigiannis: we've been meaning to document this better for a while. You might find some tips at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/7452
- g.sarigiannisGPpdurbin: Thank you for this link. I just realized that the problem is not related to the file type, but to the file size(?). Any file with size over 1MB gets stuck and doesn't upload. I've set the file size limit to 2 GB. Any thoughts?
- Vincent KadarH
This message is being deleted…
- @hjesfe:matrix.org was banned from the room by pdurbin
- @g-tenko-r:matrix.freyachat.eu left the room
- pdurbinGg.sarigiannis: sorry, I just noticed this. 1 MB is obviously super small. Something must be misconfigured but I'm not sure what. How did you install Dataverse? By following the guides? Or with dataverse-ansible? Or dataverse-docker?
- juanlopezurJHello! If a researcher has some Files in One Drive can I harvest those Files in a dataset?
- pdurbinJjuanlopezur: Dataverse integrates with Dropbox and Globus but not OneDrive. You are welcome to create an issue for this: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues
- juanlopezurJThank you! I'll create the issue
- g.sarigiannisGIt was a misconfiguration of nginx, all good! Thank you for your help!
In reply topdurbinGg.sarigiannis: sorry, I just noticed this. 1 MB is obviously super small. Something must be misconfigured but I'm not sure what. How did you install Dataverse? By following the guides? Or with dataverse-ansible? Or dataverse-docker?
- pdurbinphew! 😅 thanks for letting us know!
- pdurbinHave a good weekend everyone!
- @ralph:fx45.in left the room
- haker404 joined the room
- reis.quarteu joined the room
- reis.quarteuRGood morning. I work in a portuguese institution that makes research in agriculture topic. I am installing Dataverse in that institution but I have an important question. How can I use an agriculture controlled vocabulary in keywords, is it possible?
- pdurbinRreis.quarteu: do you mean a vocabulary like AGROVOC? It's mentioned here: https://github.com/gdcc/dataverse-external-vocab-support/blob/main/docs/readme.md
Also, will you be in Braga for #dataverse2023?
- reis.quarteuRYes, I will try to be present in #dataverse2023, at least for 1 day.
- pdurbinNice! I'll be there.
- pdurbinRreis.quarteu: so is AGROVOC what you want? Or some other vocabulary?
- reis.quarteuRYes I think AGROVOC is what I need, but I have a new doubt. 'skosterm' is not a datasetField name of a field defined in a metadata block file, is it? Can the 'skosterm' field-name be replaced by 'keyword' or the 'keyword' field must be be hidden and 'skosterm' must be used?
- pdurbinIt's complicated.Rreis.quarteu can you please create a new issue in https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues ? Something like "AGROVOC for keyword" would be a good title. I'd like to see whatQqqmyers thinks.
- reis.quarteuRYes, I will do it.
- pdurbinI see it: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/9604 . Thanks!
- reis.quarteuRMeanwhile, is it possible to have a simpler solution (a controlled vocabulary with agriculture terms defined by our organization) , something like an internal controlled vocabulary?
- pdurbinFor "keyword"?
- pdurbin(in the citation block?)
- pdurbinThat's what we'll want to askQqqmyers about in the issue you opened. I'm not sure.
- An alternative would be to create your own custom metadata block.
- (I'm askingQqqmyers in Slack, by the way.)
- reis.quarteuRSomething similar to the Controlled Vocabulary used for 'Subject' datasetfield in 'citation' MetadataBlock.
In reply topdurbinAn alternative would be to create your own custom metadata block.
- pdurbinYes, exactly. With your own custom metadata block you could store the controlled vocabulary values in the database.
- We do this all the time for Harvard Dataverse: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse.harvard.edu/blob/3fc9bfe9a171b2f7546ad44b1114f5c3920907d1/metadatablocks/custom3d.tsv#L16
- pdurbinYou could also attach an external controlled vocabulary (like AGROVOC) to your custom metadata block.
- Anyway, various options. I'm just not sure about using an external vocab with the existing "Keyword" field in the citation block.
- Don SizemoreD@pdurbin cowbox fix Q?
- pdurbinyee haw, whatchu got,DDon Sizemore ?
- Don SizemoreD@pdurbin I'm kludging up the ec2-create script for perpetuity, and can't remember why it installs nano
- @pdurbin my kludge is to enable epel-testing ongoing to avoid Ansible package dependency gaps during release churn
- pdurbinI'm a vi guy. You can kill nano
- Don SizemoreD@pdurbin good, 'cause I already did. see #dv-tech for a potential and easy fix for the NodeJS package installation failures, since we're back on that again.
- pdurbinLluddaniel (or anyone): what does "Mo" mean at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/9606 , please? My guess is mégaoctets.